Some of my favorite blog posts
These are some of my favorite programming/IT-related blog posts from around the net.
Stuff to build#
Build a Blockchain https://hackernoon.com/learn-blockchains-by-building-one-117428612f46
Ray Tracing in One Weekend https://raytracing.github.io/books/RayTracingInOneWeekend.html
- Password Rules are Bullshit https://blog.codinghorror.com/password-rules-are-bullshit/
- Good Commit Messages https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/
- Understanding Git From the Inside Out https://maryrosecook.com/blog/post/git-from-the-inside-out
- The Meaning of “Technical Debt” https://www.georgefairbanks.com/ieee-software-v32-n4-july-2020-ur-technical-debt
CAP, ACID and DB Stuff#
CAP vs. ACID http://blog.thislongrun.com/2015/03/the-confusing-cap-and-acid-wording.html A lot has been written about this, but I found this article particularly insightful. It’s also short.
Consistency Models https://jepsen.io/consistency
Please Stop calling Databases CP or AP https://martin.kleppmann.com/2015/05/11/please-stop-calling-databases-cp-or-ap.html
Problems with simultaneity in distributed systems https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2745385
What MongoDB got Right https://blog.nelhage.com/2015/11/what-mongodb-got-right/
Enterprise FizzBuzz https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition
Exponential Backoff and Jitter https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/architecture/exponential-backoff-and-jitter/ Avoid thundering herds with systems that retry operations.
- SNAP - Stanford Large Network Dataset Collection https://snap.stanford.edu/data/